Monday, August 1, 2016

Hillary's America Aborted

Yesterday I headed to the theatre to see Hillary's America. Was really looking forward to it.

So I bought a ticket and grabbed a seat.  When just before the movie was about to start, a young man with a HUGE duffle bag almost as big as he, walked down the center aisle and sat in one of the front row seats closest to the screen.

My heart skipped a beat. I thought, what's this guy doing with the HUGE duffle bag and why would he need it at the movies? It was all very odd, curious and somewhat creepy also.

Memories of theatre shootings reported in the media flooded my consciousness, not to mention the most recent acts of violence in Belgium, Paris, Orlando, San Bernadino and on and on.  Consequently, my mind raced with thoughts of whether to stay or get up and leave.

Maybe the young man with the HUGE duffle bag was just an eccentric and there was nothing harmful in it. Maybe not. Maybe it held weapons of some sort. Or maybe not. Thoughts went flying back and forth trying to make sense of it all.

While trying to decide what to do I noticed that one by one,  people were leaving their seats.  I thought it was too much of a coincidence that so many had to go to the bathroom, make a call, etc right after this guy entered and the movie was about to begin.

Finally I thought to myself,  better safe than sorry and I too got up to leave and also to alert and question those in charge about the man with the HUGE duffle bag.

Upon arriving in the lobby near the ticket booth, dozens of people, maybe more were lined up. I wondered if they're the same people who up and left Hillary's America or just in line to purchase tickets for a different movie?

Consequently, once I got in line, I overheard various conversations and yes, all these people were waiting to alert the powers that be about the suspicious man with the HUGE duffle bag. They also were looking for refunds as they didn't intend on taking a chance as long as he was there.

As a result, I started chatting with a few of the people and just about all of them had plans to contact the Manager about the incident afterward via email and/or to post about it on social media.

Finally it was my turn at the ticket counter.  I questioned the clerk about the man with the duffle bag. Was it checked I asked? The clerk answered that yes, it was. I asked what was in it as the clerk was not going to further enlighten me.

Turned out the man had a huge tarp in the bag. I said that that was really odd. And asked why he wasn't asked to leave it behind the counter just as a precaution? I mean who needs a large tarp in a duffle bag at the movies? Maybe he had a gun or some other sort of weapon also on his body for all we know. Didn't the clerk think it all was a bit suspicious?

The clerk said all was fine. It was just a tarp in the bag and he saw no reason to retain it.

I replied again that I thought it was all quite odd and politely asked for a refund.

At first the clerk fought me on this. Then finally he relented and refunded the cost of the ticket.

While pocketing the cash and slowly exiting the admission counter,  I noticed there was still a line of people behind me and while lingering, listening and watching the whole scene, I realized they were doing exactly what I had done ie asking about the duffle bag, why it wasn't confiscated and asking for a refund.

In total, I'd say half, maybe even more than half of the people seated in viewing room #9 to see Hillary's America had exited,  all with the same trepidations I had and then some.

Finally I left the theatre. I was glad to get out of there.

After having time to absorb and digest the incident, it  made me realize what a changed, volatile world we now live in.  Terrorism has taken hold and could strike anywhere. Even in a small town on the coast of Maine, far from the crowds of big cities and their neighboring suburbs. No place is truly safe anymore.

That so many people got up and left a movie they wanted to see is a symptom of that fear. Is this how it's going to continue to be? Will we ever completely conquer terrorism or crazy lone wolf's who for whatever reasons want to obliterate as many people as possible? If so, how do we deal with it? What can we do? What is the answer? Questions to ponder ....

One last note. So far I haven't heard anything about a shooting or any other kind of incident at that particular that location. Thank God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home